Whenever I need a break from writing or I'm blocked, I go to my second favourite thing to do...reviving old furniture. There is something so rewarding about taking an old piece and giving it a new look. Not to mention it's usually less expensive to update things in your home or from great finds at garage sales and thrift stores than running out and purchasing new furniture. I wanted to share one of my favourite pieces which I updated that everyone keeps asking where I bought it! 
Picture
Here is a piece I found at my local thrift store and I immediately fell in love with the detail. I'd been looking for something for my main level to give me more storage. I paid $25 for it and then scratched my head, wondering how the heck I was going to get it home! But thankfully it just fit in my little SUV with the seats down. My husband on the other hand, was not as happy with my find when I got it home. 

"It's ugly," he said.

He just doesn't have any imagination and didn't see the possibility like I did. I'll show him!

I'm sorry I didn't take pictures along the way of my work but I'll give you some details on how I transformed it.
  • Started with a good cleaning and then removed all the hardware, drawers, doors, etc.
  • I dry brushed one coat of chalk paint on it and once dry, followed up with a second light coat. I dry brushed because I wanted the paint light and for the brown wood to show through in some places.
  • Once dry, I distressed it by sanding lightly at the edges or in places that would wear naturally.
  • I tinted a bit of glaze a dark brown and then glazed it, again for a distressed, older appearance.
  • I used a gold rub on the handles and the edges of the details to make it stand out.
  • Protected it with a couple coats of top coat.

Voila! I was done and I loved it. Even my hubby was like, wow, I did not expect that. Here's a picture of the after! If you have any questions about the steps, feel free to drop me an email.
Here's a couple more close up pictures of the detail and handles with the gold rub. You can also see the glaze good in these pictures. This project by the way, took me about 3 days. It wasn't a lot of work but I had to let things dry in between stages. I'm currently redoing my writing desk and will update pictures when done. 
 


Comments


Your comment will be posted after it is approved.


Leave a Reply